Special education means a classroom or private instruction that is done with the help of unconventional techniques, learning materials, facilities and subject matter that are designed specially for students whose learning cannot be completed only with the school curriculum. Such students include children with different intellectual capacities, any type of physical handicaps and other behavioral disorders. Modern special education allows these students to stay in regular schools even when they are having learning disabilities.
Now are you facing problem for the education of your Autism affected child, or a child is having a learning disability that needs special education? Do you feel that you cannot win your child and have given up advocating your child’s education? In case the answer is yes, then here this article will help you on how to overcome with indifference and successfully deal with the special education bewilderment so that the child can receive the right type of education.
- Always accept the fact that special education is an entitlement for a child under the Federal Special Education Law (IDEA 2004) and the child is depended on the parents to get the right to such services.
- When the school session starts, then parents should try to attend some parent trainings on federal and state education and disability law. In these trainings, children can learn about the law and can gain useful advocacy information and can meet with other parents who are also facing such problems. So it is best to look out for groups that are providing parent training at your states Parent training and information center or other local disability organizations like ARC or the United Cerebral Palsy.
- In case you are not able to get any local advocacy group for special education then you can start one with the help of other parents. Make yourself present in few groups so that you can make a decision on what is more important to clue in any advocacy group. Motivate other members to support each other by using the concept of role playing in certain situations.
- Acquaint yourself with the help of online organizations that are in the area of educating parents and holds the access to other knowledgeable parties like independent evaluator and lawyers. You can also consider joining advocates by paying a small annual fee. Such organization have members that are parents, advocates and attorneys who discuss about special education advocacy issues. So by having group discussions, you can seek multiple advices on any advocacy situation.
- Attend an (IEE) independent educational evaluation to check what types of special education services are required by your child so that he/she can receive an appropriate education. So search for a child friendly evaluator and it is better to hire the services of a Clinical Psychologist or a Neuropsychologist. To get their services, you should take a prior appointment. Also the parents should evaluate the need for extended school year services if the issues is with your school district. ESY helps to convince the educators. The evaluator should give specific recommendations on the amount and type of extended school year services required in the report.
- Search for another experienced parent or an advocate who can possibly attend the meetings with you and give you the best advocacy tips on how to overcome the roadblocks for the special education of the child.
These tips will definitely help you to overcome the special education indifferences and can benefit for the child’s education needs.